Appealing Loss of Aid

Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal

Federal regulations require that students make Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) towards the completion of their degree and maintain good academic standing. Should your financial aid be cancelled due to not meeting SAP requirements, you may appeal the decision by submitting the following documentation.

Appeal forms must be submitted 30 days prior to the start of the term.

You may either complete the Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Form or include the following information on your own document that you submit to the Office of Financial Aid.

  1. Indicate the reason for appealing. Select the circumstance that applies and submit the supporting documentation as indicated. Appeals without all supporting documents will be denied.
    • Serious medical illness – requires signed doctor’s statement on office letterhead
    • Death of immediate family member – requires a statement including your relationship to the deceased and the date of death
    • Other – requires documentation specific to your circumstance
  2. Provide the following academic information:
    • Anticipated Graduation Date
    • Cumulative GPA
    • Required GPA
    • Total Attempted Units
    • Total Earned Units
    • Completion % (Earned units/attempted units)
    • Required %
  3. Provide a personal statement describing the circumstances surrounding your insufficient academic progress. Attach all required documentation.
  4. Explain how your circumstances have now changed to allow you to meet the satisfactory academic progress policy standards.
  5. Sign and date the document/letter you submit.

Additional Terms of Financial Aid Funding Appeal

Students may need to enroll beyond 12 terms in order to achieve their degree. Consider the following when asking for additional terms of financial aid support.

For all students, circumstances that typically lead to approval for additional funding of institutional aid beyond the 13th term are course withdrawals necessitated by illness or injury of the student or a death in the family. Furthermore, terms must be necessary for graduation and may not solely be the result of failures, under-enrollment, or poor planning.

Students who require financial aid and scholarships beyond the basic standard of twelve terms must complete the Additional Terms of Funding Appeal Form. Appeals are reviewed by the Committee on Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress (CFSAP). For the appeal, you will need:

  • a copy of your degree audit from the Registrar’s Office
  • how many additional credits and terms are needed
  • the specific reason(s) why the additional time is needed to graduate

All students requiring an additional term(s) must remember to file a FAFSA for the year in which the aid is being requested in order to be considered for all forms of need-based aid in addition to College-provided scholarships.